Mentoring - Learn Portrait, Fashion & Landscape Photography
Creative expression is a great form of therapy, though creating by ourselves can be intimidating at first. Trust me, I've been there. Many of us find learning much easier and more enjoyable when we have someone to guide us. A teacher can help you to improve your photographic skills, as well help you discover your personal style. For those in search of this guidance, I am offering a customized, private tutoring program. As a creative guide, I teach students of my program the fundamentals of photography in their fields of choice including (but not limited to) portraiture, fashion, and landscape. I aim to help students learn the essentials, and at the same time, encourage them to break the rules, have lots of fun, and laugh along the way!
What’s involved in this mentorship program, and what will the student learn?
This program is fully tailored to the student’s individual needs, designed to go at their pace with private, one-on-one mentoring sessions. Our journey begins with us discussing where you are in your photography and where you'd like to be. Whether you're brand new to the art and interested in learning how to capture a proper exposure, or a seasoned professional interested in fine-tuning your personal style, this program is for you. Here are just some of the basic topics I’ll be covering:
- What digital or film cameras and lenses are best for your desired niche, style, and budget
- Understanding the camera’s settings in-depth: light metering, histograms, white balance, flash sync, all shooting modes, and creative uses of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Working with natural light: all lighting conditions such as direct sunlight, cloudy weather, window light, and low-light or dark situations
- Working with artificial or studio lighting: flash and continuous lights, controlling the light, and how to build a lighting setup from one light to multiple lights
- Finding models to shoot with: where to look, contacting agencies, directing models
- Idea and concept creation: creating a mood board, planning and organizing the shoot, and executing the concept
- Post-production: editing in Lightroom and Photoshop, creating a workflow from camera to image processor, color-correction and color-grading, basic and advanced skin retouching techniques
What’s it like being mentored by me, and what’s my approach as a creative guide?
From the moment we begin, students will be helped to feel at ease in any environment. You are encouraged to ask as many questions as you like. My approach is engaging, supportive, and definitely collaborative. I’ll have my camera with me so I can shoot alongside with you to show you how I do everything. We’ll work in a way that will spark inspiration, so that your pictures are full of variety and unexpected perspectives. It's my goal to help you fall in love with photography!
Who is this mentoring program for?
Whether you're interested in portraiture, fashion, landscape/nature, lifestyle/travel, street/documentary, boudoir, or wedding photography, this program will help you understand the fundamentals needed for your fields of interest. All levels from beginner to professional are welcome to join me on this journey.
What will be covered beyond the basics?
Besides learning my personal techniques on just about everything, students will be provided knowledge on how to effectively curate, communicate, and publish your photography. When reviewing your work, I’ll be giving meaningful photo critiques and analysis in order to help you become more aware of your art. We'll also be addressing the search for your own voice and vision, and how to create work that stands out on it's own. Furthermore, I'll always be there to help you push past any self-doubt you may have when comparing yourself and your work to others.
How, when, and where will these sessions take place?
I’m able to host half-day, full-day, and multiple-day sessions in New York City. If you’re in NYC and are able to schedule time with me, we’ll meet locally for in-person tutoring. Depending on your interests, you’ll have the chance to focus on beautiful models, or iconic skyscrapers/architecture, historic landmarks, vast rooftops, and vibrant street life during our photo walks. For studio portrait lovers, we can book time in an inspiring studio space with or without a model. If you don’t live near me but still want to have a conversation about your photography, I’m available to talk via Skype (or another similar service) and phone as well.